Sunday, January 14, 2018

Beef Stew

What's for dinner?  Ugh!  Every single day! I never know what to make.  I am usually scrambling to pull something together because I didn't get anything out of the freezer.  We don't eat much processed food which means I am making things from scratch. Oh the days of being single and eating cold cereal or chips and salsa for dinner!

When I do find a recipe that works I make sure to write it down and have as many of the ingredients on hand as possible.  It has to be relatively quick and easy!  I am not one that enjoys spending half my day in the kitchen for one meal.

Today I made beef stew for the first time!  I read at least 20 recipes and then came up with my own version.  It turned out really yummy and was pretty darn easy!  It's the perfect winter Sunday dinner.

Beef Stew -- Slower cooker

Serves 4-6

1 lb stew meat
1/4 c flour
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t salt
carrots (I used like 20 baby carrots because the twins love them)
potatoes (I used three smallish ones) chopped into bite size pieces
1 med onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1 can beef broth
1 c water
1 c red wine
1 - 11/2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary

Mix the flour, salt and pepper together.  Add the meat to the mixture and coat well.  Brown the meat in a small amount of oil.  Place the meat in a crock-pot.  Saute onions and garlic then add to crock-pot.  Add carrots and potatoes to crock-pot.  Pour broth, water, red wine and worcestershire sauce in saute pan.  Bring to a simmer scrapping the brownings from the meat.  Pour over the ingredients in the crock-pot.  Make sure you have enough liquid to almost cover the ingredients.  Cook on high for about 4 - 5 hours (or low for 8 hrs) or until meat is tender and potatoes and carrots are soft.  About an hour before serving I thickened the stew with a little corn starch.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Enjoy!  I hope this helps just one dinner become a little easier this month! 


No comments: