It is my birthday eve. I am saying good bye to my 30's as tomorrows birthday is the big 4.0.! I can hardly believe I am turning 40. I asked Erik if he could think of a way to just postpone my birthday for a little longer. I don't feel ready to be turning 40. In prepping myself for the inevitable I decided to reflect on my 30's by coming up with 30 accomplishments of my 30's (in no particular order).
1. Of course the biggest (and best) thing to happen in my 30's was getting married!
2. Travel -- I did a lot of traveling in my 30's. Mediterranean, Caribbean, Baltic Sea ... just to name a few places.
3. I went to and graduated school and earned my Masters in Educational Leadership and Administration
4. I made a little career change (ha!) and became an Assistant Principal at a great school.
5. I was teacher of the year -- nominated by students. It was one of the proudest moments of my teaching career.
6. I figured out the cause of life long migraines! I had my heart fixed (PFO) and was given a nearly headache free life!
7. I remodeled my townhouse (just in time to get married ... but it was exciting for the two months i lived in it).
8. I bought a new car.
9. I was named the 'Golden Child' of the school district. Really I was just given a scholarship of sorts for grad school.
10. I ran 3 half marathons.
11. I did my first triathlon.
12. I road in my first bike race (tour de Tucson).
13. I paid off my car.
14. I swam Alcatraz (for the third time).
15. Just two months into my 30's I bought my first home.
15. I met Erik for the first time.
16. I got scuba certified
17. I hiked Timp
18. I grew my hair out from pixie to half way down my back.
19. I ran my first 5k. This race launched me into many other races.
20. I took the GRE (it sucked!)
21. One year I attended the temple once a week.
22. I learned to can (bottle/preserve). I have done it every years since with my sisters.
23. I improved my art (being an art teacher sure helped!).
24. I made it through grad school debt free.
25. I was in my first parade. BYU homecoming with my family
26. I crossed a couple wonders of the world off my list. ie. Arches, Yosemite, Hagia Sophia
27. Career accomplishments. Over the years I have had a lot of career accomplishments. Dep. chair, district arts coordinator, SWAP board member, just to name a couple.
28. The last ten years have had a lot of first and trying new things. Like sailing
29. My testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ has grown.
30. Last but not least ... I learned that I can do really hard things. I learned to live life to the fullest. I learned to love my life.
I hope this list doesn't sound like I am bragging. It is more of a reflection of where I have been and where I want to go. I hope that my 40's bring me as much joy, growth and adventure as my 30's.