Saturday, March 1, 2008

Freegans

Did anyone watch last Wednesday's Oprah about Freegans? It was so eyeopening! I was shocked at how much food was thrown out at grocery stores. My big question is why do they not give all that food to homeless shelters? I would totally go on one of those garbage tours that they showed. I started looking around my house and was disgusted with how much I, one person, consumes! It is time for a change!

http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/200802/20080227/slide_20080227_350_101.jhtml

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I was so shocked too! I was telling Ryan all about it, and trying to come up with a plan of how to get that food to people in need... It's so wasteful, I couldn't believe it!

sarahsbeet said...

I totally agree! I saw that and it was amazing. It really makes you think about how much we truly do waste all of our resources. I wonder if the grocery stores don't give the excess to the shelters for fear of being sued. In today's society, I wouldn't put it past someone to sue if they got sick from the food. It's sad if that is the case becasue that food could be helping so many in need!

jennie said...

I think Sarahsbeet is on to something. It's all about liability these days.

Layne & Kellie said...

I saw it and was shocked too. Especially when they were throwing things out a couple of days before expiration. I still can't believe they don't give it to some shelter. It's horrible that our world is such a sue-friendly place.

Natalie said...

Pretty crazy, but I still don't plan on dumpster diving anytime soon!

KA said...

I saw it. Wow. Astounding, right? The good news is that I don't have to cook tonight b/c we will be eating LEFTOVERS!

Chandra said...

Can I just tell you that my mom can't stop talking about Freegans? Freegan eggs, freegan bread... "Chan, go make us some freegan dinner!" Thanks a lot Sari, thanks a lot.