Saturday, September 20, 2008

One of those weeks ....

This was just one of those weeks ... it was emotionally, physically, mentally exhausting! It was Friday and I was SOOO glad this week was over! I had a pretty kick back day ahead of me at school and then a free weekend! I get to school and turn on my computer. The normal log on screen did not pop up! That's weird, so I leave it for a bit and go do something else. When I come back it still hasn't booted up right. So I call our IT guy. He comes in as I am starting class. I see him at my computer typing away. He can fix anything and I am really not worried. Until .... he softly says my name and then says,
"it's gone! it's all gone!"
"What do you mean?" I say. "What is gone?"
"Your hard dive has been wiped clean. Everything is gone!"
I actually remained very cool. Less out of self control and more out of shock I am sure. I know the first thing you want to ask me is if back up my computer. Well, kinda. I backed up everything about two years ago. So not EVERYTHING is gone. Just everything I have done in the last two years of teaching! The part that makes me want to throw up the most are all the powerpoints I have lost for teaching my AP art history class. About every 10 minutes I think of some demo, worksheet, letter, handout, powerpoint I have done in the last two years that is now gone! GONE .... GONE! Hours of my life ... poof!

And that is how my week ended.

14 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh that's horrible!!! So sorry Sari. My biggest fear is that one day my computer will crash, or someone will steal my computer during a long school break.

Ashley said...

Oh Sar, I am so sorry! That really stinks! What a way for the week to end!

Amy said...

get the hard drive from him- there are services that can find almost everything. our hard drive got blown away when Jade was 6 months old. We ended up recovering almost everything.

I am so sorry- that really sucks.

jd said...

oh my gosh... I can't even imagine... that sucks beyond BELIEF-- all that work! All those power points! I am so so sorry!

as department chair, can you find some money in the dept. to pay for the hard drive retrieval???

Morgan said...

oh i am so sorry sari. that is the worst. just thinking about all those powerpoints makes me feel even worse for you. i hope you have a much better weekend then you did during the week.

Beckie said...

That makes me sick - and I know how lame the rest of the week was! AARRRGGGHHHH! I hope you can still get the stuff you need... keep me posted...

C*K*J said...

Oh Sari! That makes ME want to throw too. I am so sorry. A good reminder to me to back-up my computer...something I suck at doing regularly! Sorry!

Holly and Chris Kneeland said...

I am so sorry! That is horrible! If you need a long break come to Texas and I will try to pamper your worries away!

Sampson Family said...

Oh! I am so sorry! As I was reading your blog, nausea was my prevalent feeling. Those retrieval services are pretty good. I will be thinking of you as I backup my system tonight.

Unknown said...

so sorry! now you need to help the rest of us retards so we can learn from your mistake. how do we back ours up? I'm seriously computer retarded! I'm so sad for you

Julie H. said...

That just made me sick. Ok, I'm backing my computer up tomorrow! so so so sorry!

Jaime said...

sari,

needless to say that really sucks...nothing I might add that a well deserved vacation to the bright sunny big island of hawaii can't fix...

Ruby Red Slippers said...

You've been tagged...come visit my blog...

Natale said...

OK... where are my backup disks. Sari - that REALLY SUCKS!!! I am SO sorry!