Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mind Your Manners

There are many important things parents are responsible for teaching their children; don't steal, tell the truth, hygiene, social norms, etc ... Shouldn't the simple act of saying "Please" and "Thank You" be amongst the list?

I have been aware lately of the children (young and old) around me who use or don't use these simple words. When a person says 'please', and to me more importantly 'thank you' they are showing respect. Respect for the person they are addressing, respect for the act being done in their behalf. I will admit that I in turn have more respect for the person.

I don't believe that saying 'please' and 'thank you' is a very hard thing to teach. I believe it is a matter of doing the teaching. I have a handful of students that at the end of each class will say 'thank you' as they leave my classroom. It is a conscious effort on their part. It is such a small and simple act, yet one that is very much appreciated. We live in a very 'entitled' society. One lacking respect, responsibility, consequences. The simple words 'please' and 'thank you' can go a long way. Just like most things ... it starts at home! If it is expected at home, it will be done in public.

Stepping off my soap box.

5 comments:

C*K*J said...

AMEN. Well said.

rebecca said...

Ha, I thought the same thing as CKJ:) AMEN !!! Very well said, and it makes me think about if I am doing a good job with my own kids:)

The Beckstroms said...

I so agree Sari! So many things are taught by parents (or not taught) and as a teacher, I find out why many of my students are the way they are on that very first Parent/Teacher Conf. I hope that I can raise my children to show respect and not have that entitled attitude.

Natalie said...

AGREED!

Amy said...

I wish people in business would still remember those simple manners. It amazes me how entitled people feel and that they don't use either of those magic words. It is "do this" "do that" and rarely a "thank you" More a "looks good" or "do this instead"