Sunday, June 3, 2012

Change Is Hard

After 10 years of teaching I am saying goodbye.  1 year elementary, 9 years high school.  I am an art teacher -- that is who I have been!  I love my job! I love my school!  I love my classroom!  I love my people!  I have had the privilege of working at the greatest school.
In October my sabbatical was approved.  In February I was accepted into the grad program at BYU, In April I was awarded the "golden child." Word started to get out to the students in the spring.
This came as no surprise.  I had lots of time to prep myself.  It didn't make it any easier.  I knew packing my classroom and saying goodbye was going to be the  hardest change of all.   
My classroom has been like my own little studio.  
I am pretty sure I have had a dream job!
 I loved bringing my friends and family to my classroom to make stuff.  
It became a little tradition with my nieces and nephews.  

 It turns out that Kimi D. is a natural!  
"You really want to give all this up?" she asked me.
No, yes, I think so, I don't know!
 I have spent more hours of my life the last 9 years in this classroom than at home. 
I always loved the way my classroom felt.  I hope that my students did too. I am having a hard time imagining not being in my classroom every day. 

How lucky I am to have spent 10 years being a teacher at an amazing school.  I have made lifelong friends who have influenced me for good.  I am so grateful for that.  I hope that the mark that I have left on my school, students, and coworkers is a positive one. 

Change is good ... right?

5 comments:

Paige Taylor Evans said...

Change is definitely good, but definitely hard! You were/ARE such a great teacher and I know your students all loved you from the way they treated you and interacted with you. I'm so lucky to have spent a fraction of time with you in your wonderful classroom! I hope to someday still become an art teacher and be like you :) Good luck with everything!

Unknown said...

Change is good, but I'm going to miss ceramicizin'. You're awesome for taking the leap!

Sarah Shelley said...

You will certainly be missed. Don't worry though, I'll make sure that you are still invited to "lunch bunch" gatherings. Even if you are too busy to come. Break a leg!

Stinsonian said...

I'm sure you are an amazing teacher and your teaching days are not over. Good luck with your next phase of life!!!

Jessie said...

Good luck in your new adventures Sari! Waita go for it!