Friday, March 23, 2018

Poop Stories

After my last post I started thinking about some funny poop incidences that we have had since having the twins.  Both babies were partial to their daddy when it came to pooping. This is for Prim and Hagen:

Primrose and the never ending poop!

In the NICU babies get their cares done every three hours.  Cares include taking their temp, changing their monitor to the other foot, measuring their tummy, changing diapers and feeding.  This is when you get to interact and hold your baby.  Erik and I would schedule our visits around cares.  Erik loved doing cares.  He was a unique new dad in that way.  One evening little tiny Primrose was getting her diaper changed by her daddy.  Erik and picked up the habit of wearing gloves from the nurses.  This particular night it was a good thing he put on gloves!  The nurses had taught us to put a clean diaper under the babies bum before taking the dirty one off.  Erik was changing Prim when she started to poop the yellow mustard poop of a newborn.  He cleaned her up and put a clean diaper under her.  Again she started to poop ... and poop and poop!  I jumped up to help and the nurse (it happened to be one of our two favorites, Caroline) came to help as well.  Erik was holding her legs, I was grabbing wipes and a new diaper.  Caroline was removing poop covered bedding.  There was poop everywhere!!!  Erik picked Prim up so we could change her bedding.  She was maybe 4.5 lbs at this point which is not easy to hold.  Suddenly Erik said, "oh its warm!  She is pooping in my hand!"  Her little tiny bum was in his hand that was quickly filling up with poop.  By now Caroline and I were no help as we were laughing so hard!  We went through five diapers, bedding and blankets and a lot of gloves that night!  We joked that it had taken three adults to change a diaper. How such a tiny little body could produce that much poop is a complete mystery!

Hagen explodes in bed!

After 7 weeks in the NICU our babies were finally graduating and coming home!  Hagen did not pass his car seat test or his room air test so we would be bringing him home on oxygen.  Erik and I had to stay the night in the hospital with Hagen proving that we could take care of him on oxygen.  It was a weird night!  You stay in this "hotel" kind of room that is across the hall from the NICU.  They wheel the babies NICU bed into the room.  You have to spend 12 hours taking care of your baby.  Prim stayed in the NICU with her nurse.  Erik was sitting on the bed with Hagen laying on his lap when we heard the explosion!  Within seconds Erik felt the warmth creeping up his shorts. There was poo everywhere!  All over the bed and all over Erik!  We had to call the nurse and ask for new bedding and clothing for Hagen.  Erik didn't have extra clothes for our over-nighter so the nurse brought him a pair of scrubs.  It was the start to a very long night!  Luckily that was our only poop disaster of the night and we passed the test and were able to take both our babies home.

My Dad use to call me poopsy because of a story about him staying home from church with me as a baby and me pooping ALL OVER him and the bathroom!  I bet I heard that story a hundred times and now it makes me smile.  I guess I had it coming!

These are just two of MANY poop stories.  I had no idea how much poo I would deal with having two babies.  I don't think I have ever said the word poo or poop so many times in my life as I have writing this post. HA!

No comments: