Saturday, December 22, 2007

Let it snow!

One of my favorite things to do with my dad is to go hiking and snowshoeing. Yesterday we went for our first snowshoe adventure of the year. Now when we go snowshoeing we do not go along a marked path. Oh no .... we hike a mountain. Not only is it a lot of fun it is a great workout. Our hike yesterday was a hard one! Dang there is a lot of snow. We take turns being in the lead as it is the hardest position to be in. The idea is that each person takes the lead for about 20 steps and then you trade. I seem to fall down a lot so he would end up passing me as I rolled around trying to get back up (not easy in six feet of snow with snow shoes on!) So I end up taking about 10 steps as the lead person.

I love going on these adventures with my dad because it is just to the two of us. My dad and I can talk for hours. About anything and everything. We talk about art (an obvious one) for example, yesterday as we were hiking we were noticing how beautiful the sky was. The clouds were very orange as the sun was setting against the blue sky. Blue and orange are complementary colors. Probably the clouds look more orange because of the blue. Does everyone have that conversation with their dad? We talk about religion, politics, things that bug us and things that we like. We wonder how deer walk through this snow without snowshoes. Of course we talked about how all the bears are hibernating so I didn't need to be scared of being attacked. I love that I have this unique relationship with my dad.

The best part of snowshoeing is coming down! On the steep parts you just sit down and slide. We call it the slide for life! I'm sorry I don't have any pictures. I will get some next week when we hit the mountain again!

Merry Christmas everyone!

3 comments:

KA said...

I'm sorry you don't have any pictures too. Clearly the slide for life needs to be documented.

Renee said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. There is nothing better than having a good relationship with your dad! I am wishing I was having a good workout right now - instead I am eating my 8th Reeses tree right now! Please post pictures of your next adventure.

Natalie said...

If you and your dad ever need a third again.....count me in!