Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Book Review

One of my latest summer reads was The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
I thought this was a very thought provoking read. It was a quick read and I would definitely recommend it.
A couple lines that I really liked;

"We who fight for our dream suffer far more when it doesn't work out, because we cannot fall back on the old excuse: "Oh, well, I didn't really want it anyway.""

".... when we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too."

"Well, why did you say that I don't know about love?" the sun asked the boy.
"Because it's not love to be static like the desert, nor is it love to roam the world like the wind. And it's not love to see everything from a distance, like you do. Love is the force that transforms and improves the Soul of the World." ..... "and the world we live in will be either better or worse, depending on whether we become better or worse."

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Sari, that is one of my alltime favorite books. John reads "The Alchemist" once a year. It is SO profound and every time I read it, I get something new out of it. One of our favorite quotes is that when you truly want something righteous that the whole universe conspires to help you achieve it. And as I look back on the things that were the "right" paths, things worked out. Doors did open. I'm so glad you liked it too, you have inspired me to pick it up again for a summer read.