Sunday, July 19, 2009

Oh my heart, my broken heart!

... well, not so much broken as it is defected. Let me explain. A couple of months ago I found out that I have what is called a PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale) which is a birth defect in your heart. In the last several years doctors have started to make a connection between migraines and this particular heart defect. My sister-in-law, Jennie, is a cardiac nurse and is the one that first suggested I get my heart checked in relation to my headaches. (isn't she smart!) We all considered it GREAT news that I did indeed have a PFO. How often are you excited that you have a heart defect? Well I was .. this was finally an answer to a life long battle. After meeting with Dr. Sorensen, a Cardiologist, my PFO was diagnosed as being "severe". We also found that I have an Atrial Septal Aneurysm. After several test, we not only believe that this defect is causing my headaches but I am also considered "high risk" for having a stroke! Well isn't that nice, I REALLY don't want to have a stroke. Dr. Sorensen suggested that I have a PFO closure done, and I agreed! There is no grantee that this will cure my headaches BUT the studies are showing that most people do have a noticeable improvement. When I was having this conversation with the doctor I said to him, "Dr Sorensen, I have a headache more days than I don't, if you could take away even 50% of those it would be a gift! You would change my life."

July 21 seemed oh so far away! Now it is finally here! I can't believe that tomorrow I am going in for what is a fairly simple procedure, when you consider that they are going into my heart. It is same day surgery and they don't even put you all the "out". I should be back to normal activity within a couple of days (minus working out .. no cardio for 30 days! That is the only down side to this whole thing.) ... but with a whole new life if you really think about it. I know I won't be cured over night and I am trying to have realistic expectation BUT it is also pretty overwhelming to think that this really could be it, this could be THE thing that does it, that fixes me. July 21, 2009 really could be the first day of the rest of my life!

For more information about PFO's go to this website http://www.sorensenmd.com/pfo.php

I also need to give a big thanks to John Anderson, another cardiac nurse friend who also suggested I have my heart checked, and kept suggestion it until I actually did it!

So here is to hoping, and praying, and wishing, and dreaming, and a little more hoping!

15 comments:

Erin said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers all day.

Ashley said...

Oh Sari, we'll be praying for you!!! I hope it all goes well and that it really is the start of a new life with NO headaches! Good luck!

Jessie said...

Good luck Sari! I hope this surgery does the trick. I'll be praying and thinking of you! May the force be with you Sari!!

Chandra said...

We're praying for you down here Sari and if you can't do cardio maybe you should come sit with us on the beach for a while.... :-)

Jeanette said...

We will be thinking of you Sari!! I'm so excited that you will be on your way to a new life and less pain! I will have to let John know that you mentioned him, he will be so pleased :) He has been so aware that this date was coming up and we hope that you will call when things settle and let us know how the surgery went! But, I know that you are in good hands and everything will be PERFECT! Remember to ask for Luanne as your nurse!

The Pemberton Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Pemberton Family said...

Oh what a blessing to figure this thing out! I know you have been miserable for so long..I really hope this helps you! You will be in my prayers and thoughts! Good luck and I love ya!!

Paige Taylor Evans said...

I really hope this does the trick! I'll be thinking of you and praying for you tomorrow!

Morgan said...

good luck!! i hope it all goes well for you and i REALLY hope it helps with your headaches!! we'll keep ya in our prayers!

The Beckstroms said...

Good Luck Sar!! We'll be thinking of you. Call if you need anything :)

Bryan said...

Good luck! I hope that all of your expectations are exceeded! It is just too bad that you couldn't have scheduled this during the school year... ;) he he

jennie said...

Here's hoping! Otherwise you are going to think I'm NOT SO SMART! I'm really optimistic about this Sar... good luck. I'll be checking in often. Not as often as your nurse who will in fact be checking your GROIN q 15 minutes X1 hour, q 30 minutes x 2 hours and then q hour until they send you home!!!

mylittlegems said...

Oh Sari- I will keep you in my prayers. My dad found out he had a big heart defect when he was 50- he was missing some important part...that we have two of and he was one... and he is fine- does tons of cardio and is very active. Good thing you found out- it is amazing what they can do these days! We will pray for you...and you will get to do cardio again- hang in there ;) love ya- sharla

Kacey said...

Best wishes, Sari. I hope everything goes perfectly!!!

Mark Robison said...

sari, glad to hear that they had a device BIG enough to fix that yawning chasm! best of luck, get back on your bike soon.