Monday, June 7, 2010

SHARKFEST

After spending a few days with Christy in San Jose I met up with Josh and Em in San Francisco. The purpose of this trip ...
Escape from Alcatraz!This is my third time, Josh's 4th, and Em's first!
We arrived a couple days early to swim in the bay and of course make a little vacation out of it.


Pre-Race photo ... notice the FOG!
We had enjoyed gorgeous weather all weekend long. Race day we wake up to San Francisco fog. They hauled us out to Alcatraz and we sat ... and waited to see if the fog would lift. We could not see a thing ... at last they canceled the swim announcing an alternate swim from the shore instead.

It was still in the ocean, still cold, with LOTS of sharks! (ok probably not) so it COUNTS!



A VERY dramatic finish!

Emily conquers the open water!
She did awesome. We stuck together the entire swim. It was quite an adventure!

We swam from the shore ... out around this wall and back in.
This is looking back toward the shore from the wall.
While it was a little disappointing not to have gotten to "Escape from the Rock" (mostly for Em) it was still an adventure.
After our swim we decided to rent bikes and ride the foggy bridge.... (notice I am wearing my Alcatraz shirt and a hat .. what? funny!)
... and then on to Tiburon.
It was a delightful ride (wishing the entire time that I was on my road bike) along the water ... most of the way.
Just checking out where we had been swimming earlier that day. We are pretty impressed with ourselves!



After swimming and biking ... we decided to make it a total fitness day and add a short run in. (running slow motion for a picture makes for an ugly run) Dang we were tired by the time we got back to our room!

What a fun weekend I had with Josh and Emily! I have a GREAT family! We just need to get Hun and Pete in on the swimming thing.

At last my California adventure was over. It was a great way to kick off my summer! No worries ... there are many more adventures to come!

3 comments:

ruth said...

GREAT photos!! I hope you got a time you are happy with, and I hope your knee is ok!! I miss seeing you every day...but summertime definately helps heal the pain. You would be so proud of how much swimming I am doing, It's my only workout I can do now! Enjoy the rest of your luxurious summer!

Sue Ann said...

Very impressive!!!!

The Beckstroms said...

So fun Sari! Glad it was fun even though the swim got cancelled. We need to do lunch soon!