Saturday, November 12, 2011

11/11/11

It happens once a century. I hadn't thought much about it until people started posting about it on FB. My sister even had an 11/11/11 11:11 party. Suddenly I was feeling pressure to do something exciting. It felt uncomfortably like New Years Eve (that is another post). I wasn't even at school to do something fun with my kids. So I started texting KimiD, wondering if we should be throwing together a last minute 11/11/11 party. A series of text lead to us attempting to plan a party. It was over before it started. Our excitement waned quickly as the reality of what we were taking on hit us.
I don't remember what I was doing or where I was on 8/8/88 or 9/9/99. I don't even remember anyone making a big deal of those days. Not so for this epic day. So what did I do on 11/11/11? I spent the day at a literacy conference. I went to the mall and did a little shopping with my GAP 40% off card. I visited my parents. Went to Target. I went home, took a bath, read my book. I was totally determined to stay awake until 11:11 pm (I missed 11:11 a.m.) so that I could make a wish on the luckiest minute on the luckiest day of the year. To no avail. I just wasn't able to stay awake. It could have been just another day ... and not a half bad day if I say so myself. And that is what I did on 11/11/11! I will be better prepared for 12/12/12.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

That's hilarious-- it kind of came and went for us too!