Sunday, January 22, 2012

Smoke Detector

4 AM the dreaded CHIRP!  
No worries I am prepared.  I actually have a stock of 9 volt batteries.  I get up, I get the step latter out, I figure out how get the battery out, I replace the battery and I am good to go.  The test chirps go off.  I climb back into bed.  Dozing off with not too much harm done to my nights sleep. 
CHIRP! 
WHAT? WHY? NO!
I replaced the battery.  I don't know what else to do.  I learned last time that you can't just take the old battery out.  (They are all hard wired now days and if you take the battery out of one the others panic that they have a man down).  I climb back up there, fiddle around, make sure I put the battery in right. 
CHIRP!
I am an independent, resourceful, smart girl.  If I weren't I might have sat down in the hallway and cried for a minute (ok I might have done that anyway).  I don't know what else to do! 
WHY does this always happen in the middle of the night? 
Thank goodness for the World Wide Web! 
Tip of the day! (I don't want this to ever happen to you).  Did you know that batteries go bad (and I am not talking 10 year old batteries) and that they go bad faster if stored in their package (according to the internet anyway).  Second, before you put in the new battery push the test button a few times to reset your detector.  If none of these things work you need a new smoke detector (Not helpful at 4 AM on a Sunday).  Three batteries later I wasn't hearing any chirps.  I tentatively got back into bed (It was now about 5:30 AM) with my detector dangling from the ceiling. To avoid this all together one could change the batteries on a regular schedule.  I am pretty sure part of hell will be smoke detectors chirping!

1 comment:

Stinsonian said...

"like".... Bry is out of town this week and of course, the smoke detector did the same thing. I think you're right about Hell having chirping smoke detectors...