Sunday, May 24, 2009

Running ... it's a love/hate thing!

Right around the time I ran my first 5K I found myself ... well lets just say, with some unexpected "free time". (most of you know what I am talking about). Even though I am not a natural runner and don't particularly love running, I decided to keep it up. I like pushing myself and enjoy a challenge .. and that running is to me! Plus I needed something productive to fill in that free time. I have been pretty diligent in my training. But progress is slow! Unlike swimming ... for me, within a couple weeks of getting in the pool I see great progress. Not so with running. I ran my second 5K yesterday and my time was almost exactly the same as my first one. After 2 more months of running I am not showing any signs of progress. That is so frustrating (and kinda embarrassing)! I shouldn't say that I am not progressing at all ... my distance is progressing (I did run 5 miles last Saturday) I am just talking about speed. On the flip side ... I do enjoy the outlet that running is. There is something about putting on your headphones and hitting the pavement. Just you and your thoughts. Ok, and I do like that my legs are toning up. I will admit that it is more the hate part of it that is keeping me going. Oh I WILL get better at this whole running thing .. I will run a 5K faster and might even do a 10K! Take that running gods!
Any advise you runners might have, I would love to hear it. I have another 5K next Saturday and I am pretty much dreading it. Lets hope for a better time! Please!

7 comments:

Morgan said...

good for you to keep up the running. i don't know what you are doing as far as your workouts, but i would check out runnersworld.com for some speed workout ideas. basically, you want to run at faster pace for a short period of time, then keep running, but slow down to get your heart rate back down for about 2 minutes, and then repeat it several times throughout your run. you could do it for short 2 minute bursts, which might be good while your mileage is still relatively low, but when you start running longer, you could do 20 minute pick ups where you run so you are pushing yourself, but not all out, and then 10 minutes of cool down, then repeat 2 or 3 times. sorry, hope that made sense. but runnersworld will for sure have lots of ideas.

C*K*J said...

Sari---you pretty much rock. I'm so proud that you are really getting into it. I keep saying that I am going to start running, but still haven't done a dang thing!

Beckie said...

Be strong! :) I think you'll see improvement for your next 5K, you probably just had an off day. You're so fired up about it, either you'll burn it up on the road with an awesome time or you'll set fire to those shoes! Keep us posted!

jennie said...

Don't be so hard on yourself Sar... you look fantastic and you feel better. That's what should matter. Your legs really are looking great. Just keep thinking about THAT!

Unknown said...

If you post a picture of your legs I'll give you some super advice!

ruth said...

I was just looking at my last few 5k times, and I realized that I fluctuated a LOT over the months, depending on the weather or how I was feeling or even just not having a good start. I gained almost 2 minutes between my first and second 5k times!! Don't dispair, I have a feeling you will blast through that time this weekend... as long as its in the last mile :) good luck saturday!!! I'll be cheering you on!

ruth said...

Thanks for telling me... I had NO idea! Where are the results posted?